Cap Haïtien: from Riches to Rags
Located on the northern coast of Haiti, Cap Haïtien was historically nicknamed “The Paris of the Antilles” for its wealth and sophistication displayed through its beautiful architecture and artistic life. Having earned much of its wealth from sugar production, it was once the richest French colony in the Americas.
Cap Haïtien is a city with a history: it changed name several times: from Cap Français to Cap Henry, to be finally called Cap Haïtien – but many people refer to it as simply le Cap. It was an important city during the colonial period, serving as the capital of the French Colony of Saint-Domingue from the city’s formal foundation in 1711 until 1770 when the capital was moved to Port-au-Prince.
After the Haitian Revolution, it became the capital of the Kingdom of Northern Haiti under King Henri Christophe until 1820. King Henri Christophe was a former slave of African descent, and key leader in the Haitian Revolution, which succeeded in gaining independence from France in 1804.
This post is from WildJunket.com.